I am super excited to share with you the fabric applique Valentine’s Day t-shirt I made for my girls using my Silhouette cutting machine…and stay tuned to the end of this post for some more inspirational projects from my Silhouette Challenge friends using fabric.
The theme for this month’s Silhouette Challenge was fabric. Immediately, I knew I wanted to make something special for my kids to wear for Valentine’s Day this year. After looking in my fabric stash I noticed this adorable fabric that I had just enough of to cut out hearts for three t-shirts. I knew it was perfect for what I wanted to do!
I used a basic heart shape from Echo Park that I purchased in the Silhouette online store.
Here are the steps for making a fabric applique t-shirt using your Silhouette:
1. Iron the rough side of fabric interfacing (I used Wonder Under…Heat & Bond is another that works great) onto the wrong side of your fabric. Use a dry iron (no steam) with the wool setting. I held the iron in place for roughly 20-30 seconds in each area of the fabric until it was all ironed on. I did approximately a 3″ square for my three year olds’ shirt and a 6″ square for my older girls.
2. Place the fabric on the cutting mat (right side up) and load it into the Silhouette.
3. In the Silhouette software choose the cut settings for “fabric…thin fabrics like cotton print”. The speed was set at 5, thickness at 33, and blade was 3. I used a separate fabric blade for cutting.
4. Remove the cut design and gently pull the paper backing from the fabric and iron the cut fabric onto your t-shirt.
5. Pull out your sewing machine and sew the design onto your t-shirt.
Doing this reminded me of how much I love and MISS sewing. I just used a simple stitch for this, but next time I think I’ll do a zig zag stitch. It had been so long since I’ve used my sewing machine (since I made the Spring Hoop Art) that it took me a little bit to get my bearings with it. But it’s a little like riding a bike…it all came back to me eventually!
My girls loved their shirts and even got to wear them to a Valentine’s Day party on Saturday afternoon!
This post was done with my super talented Silhouette Challenge friends.
My Silhouette Challenge friends and I are all sharing projects related to this theme of FABRIC on our blogs today, so peruse the projects below for a wealth of inspiration!
- No-Sew Valentine’s Day Pillows by A Tossed Salad Life
- No-Sew Interchangeable Fabric Bunting by unOriginal Mom
- Monogrammed Burlap Garden Flag by The Turquoise Home
- Crawl, Walk, Bike by It’s Always Craft Time
- Freezer Paper Stenciled Tote Bags by Weekend Craft
- DIY Bleach Spray Shirt by Practically Functional
- Stenciling Sherlock by Please Excuse My Craftermath…
- Felt Star Wands by Cutesy Crafts
- Yoda Kid’s T-Shirt by Architecture of a Mom
- Mark Your Territory- Dog Flags by Black and White Obsession
- Nautical Pillows by Lil’ Mrs. Tori
- Big Sister Gift & Silhouette Cut File by Creative Ramblings
- Nerdy Baby Onesies + Free Cut File by Essentially Eclectic
- Easy Easter Bunny Onesie – Silhouette Cameo Craft by Adventures in All Things Food & Family
- Fabric Envelopes for LEARNING LETTERS! (& cut file) by From Wine to Whine
- “Good Morning, Sunshine!” Memo Board by Tried & True
- Hearts-A-Lot Burlap Pillow Cover by My Paper Craze
- Baby Quilt by Dragonfly & Lily Pads
- Surprise Holiday Banner by Whats Next Ma
- “Team Betty” Tote Bag by The Thinking Closet
- DIY Sock Minion by Create it. Go!
- Pretty Up Some Organza Bags by Getsilvered
- Easy Heart Appliqued Onsies by Create & Babble
- Bleach Pen Gel & Freezer Paper Stencils Made with the Silhouette Machine by Bringing Creativity 2 Life
- Valentines Baby Onesie & Boy’s Shirt + Free Cut Files by The Frill of Life
- Valentine’s OWL Always Love You T-shirt by My Favorite Finds
- DIY Screen Printed Curtains by Chicken Scratch NY
- Fabric Painted Quilted Wall Hanging by Terri Johnson Creates
- Glitter Iron-On Top by Simply Kelly Designs
- DIY Monogrammed T-shirts with Silhouette Heat Transfer Material by Pitter and Glink
- Birthday Challenge by Fadville
- Machine Applique with SIlhouette Cameo by The Sensory Emporium
- Fabric Applique Valentine’s Day T-Shirt by DailyDwelling
- “Cute as Cupid” shirt by crafts, cakes, and cats
- Sew Cute Applique by Life After Laundry
- Rhino Onesie by It Happens in a Blink
- Upcycled Birchbox Cameo Accesory Organizer by Cupcakes&Crowbars
- Customizing textiles with Heat Transfer Vinyl (working title) by feto soap
- Easy Fabric Art by McCall Manor
- Lady Bug Tote Bag with Silhouette Rhinestones by Ginger Snap Crafts
- Mommy and Em’s Coordinated Aprons by TitiCrafty
- Canvas sketch project and a share by Clever Someday
- Foxy Lady Pajamas by Mabey She Made It
- Teddy Bear by Work in Progress
I am so thrilled with the amount of creativity and inspiration in these posts…I know you will be too!